Friday, August 20, 2010

First Impressions

         Travels all went smoothly and I now find myself sitting in Uganda...it is so crazy.  Oh man, I feel like I have so much to write already.  So yesterday I was waiting in the Heathrow airport for like 9 hours but thank God that went by quickly.  I had internet and was able to skype my family and write e-mails.  But what was really cool was God sent me an angel.  Not a real one but close enough.  So I was sitting in the London airport and trying to get my computer to charge.  I asked the guy next to me for some help and he helped me and started asking me some questions about where I was going.  I told him Uganda and then through conversation found out he is from Uganda and is a pastor in Kampala.  So the hours passed quickly as we talked about various things.  He really encouraged me and gave me advice and then prayed for me before we departed. So I was very thankful for his company in the airport.
        I met up with two other students from England and we flew to Uganda together.  Once through the Entebbe airport, we quickly found our DTS leader, got our bags, and headed for the base.  The country here is beautiful and a looks a lot like how Haiti looks.  The roads are actually very nice, but driving is still pretty crazy.
      Now that we have arrived on the base we have had time to eat a huge (they dished me a whole plate full piled high) lunch consisting of beans, noodles with a few veggies, and something called posho (it tasted kind of like polenta but it was white).  It got a little sickening after eating so much.  I would have not eaten as much but our staff leader kept telling us that we had to eat it all.  Later, when we had almost finished it she told us she was just teasing and we didn't have to eat it all.  Yeah, my staff leader likes to joke around a lot!!  She will definitely have everyone out of their little shells in no time.  After lunch, we (Lucy and I) unpacked and got all situated and took nice cold showers, as well as, used the convientent squatty potties.
    So far I really like it here and am really excited for the DTS, even though it will be busy and challenging.  There will only be five girls and like 17 boys so it is a nice small size.  I like the idea of only a few girls, that way we can all get to know each other really well.  So yeah, so far everything has gone really well.  Praise God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment