Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Week four and five

So I guess I have like two weeks to catch up on.  In the past two weeks we did the topics of deliverance, nature/character of God, and fear of God.  They were good weeks with the teaching and everything else that happened.  With the deliverance teachings God started showing me some areas in my life that I needed to change; so that was neat but also hard.  Now that I realize what needs to change in my life, I have to maintain that change.  I hope that makes sense.

Last Tuesday evening we went to town for supper and then rode bota botas back.  Our drivers went so fast and I felt like my head was going to blow off.  It was a lot of fun though because we had two people on each bike so when we passed each other we would give high fives and scream and stuff.  Our drivers probably though we were crazy.  When we arrived back we had a special event with the DTS team.  It consisted of playing two games.  The first game was were one person got in the middle of the circle of people and that person held a small orange like fruit squeezed between the chin and collar bone.  Then that person would motion to another person and they would have to transfer the fruit from the one person to the other without using their hands.  So pretty much it is really awkward looking.  Then after that game we played musical chairs.

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful other than the power went off for like two days.  It happens a lot now sometimes it will last for a day or two and sometimes just for a couple of hours.  But when the electricity goes off that also means no running water and of course no internet, which we hardly ever get here.  Oh, on Thursday we had game time for two hours so that was fun to play volleyball and some basketball.

On Sunday, me, Lucy (girl from UK), and one of the African boys from the base went to Lake Victoria but as we were walking there it began to down pour.  So we sloshed through the thick sticky red mud until we found some tree for shelter.  When the rain slowed down we started walking again but it again began to down pour so we finally found an old half wrecked building to stay dry under.  All in all, it was a memory making journey.  Our feet were like 5lbs heavier by the end because all the mud cakes itself to the bottom of our flip-flops.

Ok so all that was from the week of the 13-19.
This week was normal again; the power went off for at least a day and I don’t think we had internet at all this week.  On Tuesday night I had a really encouraging talk with one of the girls on the base.  She is from America and she has been here since February I think.  She did her DTS from February till July and then just stayed on.  Anyway I was able to share with her some of my struggles just with the culture and stuff and she faced some of the same struggles so she had some advice for me.

Friday night we had worship for an hour and that was a lot of fun.  We spent some time praying for each other and then we ended up just dancing around to praise songs.  Then on Saturday I did my load of wash as normal and went to town to skype my family!  That, of course, was so fun and comforting.  Sunday the 26th, another girl and myself went on a walk/hike up a hill.  At the top was a huge boarding school.  We were able to walk around and finally see some monkeys.  We also admired the beautiful view from the top.

1 comment:

  1. wish i couldve joined that Skype convo. Oh well next time. I miss you and look forward to hearing more....

    ReplyDelete